This pair of very big houses dominates the western end of the village as the Manor Houses do at the eastern end. They are also superficially like them in the variety of gable heights and mock-Tudor applied timbering. However, the Manor Houses date from the 1600s while Patrixbourne and North Green were built in the late 1880s or early 1900s. The style is a revival of picturesque Tudor and Jacobean features, which is typical of houses in the late Victorian period.
Dating these two houses presents a problem because the 1876 O.S. map shows buildings of a similar footprint on the site but they don’t appear in the 1891 census or in Kelly’s Street Directories before 1900, and the present house names are first listed in 1911. Previously they were called Red Lodge and Redlands, and the coloured postcard shows that the bricks and tiles were in fact red rather than the modern cream. The turret decorating the east end of Patrixbourne has been reduced in size at some time since the postcard photograph was taken.
Until 1866 there were two cottages on this site which belonged to the Goodwin family (part of the adjacent farm, see Hall Court and Hall Cottage). They were occupied by George Bennett, plumber, glazier and painter, and John Spawforth, a shoemaker.
‘Datchet Yacht Club’
During the early twentieth century the Datchet Yacht Club was run privately as a social club in North Green, but nobody now seems to know the reason for its name. Although it was kept very quiet at the time, King George V used to play billiards there while Queen Mary gossiped with her friends; Datchet was used to behaving discreetly when royalty paid visits. By the 1950s the club had closed but it was revived by Tom and Lily Batty when they bought the whole property in the late 1960s. This flourished for about fifteen years as a congenial meeting place for a particular group of Datchet residents, where Lily (an excellent cook) provided meals and the occasional black-tie dinner was held. The whole venture came to an end in the 1980s. (Personal communications from Tony Griffiths and Bill Middlemass 2009)
Censuses and Kelly’s Directories
|1970 Kelly’s||Thomas & Lily Batty||G. Legg|
|1950 Kelly’s||Michael James O’Riordan|
|1947 Kelly’s||Mrs Leese||Michael James O’Riordan|
|1935 Kelly’s||Mrs Upcott|
|1924 Kelly’s||Capt Simon E.H.Orde||Col Edward Roper Waldron Kelly|
|1915 Kelly’s||Reginald F.H.Duke||Col Edward Roper Waldron Kelly|
|1911 Kelly’s||Edward K Burstal||Col Edward Roper Waldron Kelly|
|1910 rating valuation||owner: Burstal, occupier: self||owner: Samuel Barker, occupier: Col Waldron Kelly|
|1907 Kelly’s||not listed||as Redlands: Col S.H. Inglefield|
|1901 census||Red Lodge: Gregory H Fullerton||Redlands: Emily Clarke|
Sources and References
Kelly’s Street Directories, various years: Slough and Windsor Reference Libraries
Ordnance Survey maps: Aylesbury, Slough and Windsor Reference Libraries
1839 County rating survey: Centre for Buckinghamshire Studies, Aylesbury
1910 County rating valuation: National Archives at Kew, IR 58 76159