The Greens North Side

St Mary’s Parish Church stands on the highest spot of ground in the village, north of the present Greens. Its site was just sufficiently high to be safe during floods and Datchet’s medieval settlement developed closely around it.

By 1350 several of the original houses were given to St George’s in Windsor as endowments, as were the church’s tithes. Properties adjacent to the west of these were given to Eton College as endowments by 1500. The existence of such early houses and the names of their owners are known because the institutions have kept all the deeds – but no building has survived from medieval times.

St George’s earliest deed associated with Datchet Rectory refers to property of ‘the old court’ in the 1200s, which suggests that the medieval manor house, where manor courts were held, would also have been here close to the church.

Churchmead House and Churchmead School, Priory Way

Churchmead House and Churchmead School, Priory Way

Churchmead School Churchmead School was built 1958 to 1959 by Buckinghamshire County Architects Department, led by Fred Pooley. It was an early work by a group of architects who were later responsible for many of Milton Keynes' public buildings and ...
Ormonde House, Mordenholt and Mordenholt Cottage, Priory Way

Ormonde House, Mordenholt and Mordenholt Cottage, Priory Way

Introduction: the Dove Brothers These two very big semi-detached dwellings, visually seeming to be one house, are completely different from any other buildings in the village except the church, for which there is a good reason: they were was built ...
Patrixbourne and North Green

Patrixbourne and North Green

Introduction This pair of very big houses dominates the western end of the village as the Manor Houses do at the eastern end. They are also superficially like them in the variety of gable heights and mock-Tudor applied timbering. However, the Manor...
Hall Court and Hall Cottage

Hall Court and Hall Cottage

Introduction This picturesque little house is a survivor from two previous uses of the  Hall Court site. From medieval times there was a farmstead here which was replaced by a big house (The Hall) in the 1870s until that was demolished and the maisonettes ...
Rose and Chestnut Cottages, The Pharmacy and Old Bank

Rose and Chestnut Cottages, The Pharmacy and Old Bank

Introduction, the Eton Connection This group of properties are on a site which once belonged to Eton College. In 1498 they were given as an endowment to the College, together with land in the fields. The land, farmstead and house were leased out to...
The Old Priory

The Old Priory

Outline History of Old Priory There was never a priory here in Datchet, but there was an enterprising Victorian owner named Mr Prior who caused confusion by renaming the house after himself. In fact, the site is an extremely old and significant one...
The Bridge, Datchet Parish Drop-In Centre

The Bridge, Datchet Parish Drop-In Centre

(Most photos can be enlarged by clicking on them) Introduction This little building was returned to community use 20 years ago when the Parish Council agreed to lease the shop and upstairs flat to the three churches in Datchet (Anglican, Baptist...
The Royal Stag

The Royal Stag

(Most photos can be enlarged by clicking on them) Introduction The Royal Stag is one of the oldest house in Datchet. Part of it, visible from the churchyard, dates from before 1500, but the whole front block facing the Green was added in the...