The Greens South Side

Development on the low-lying south side of the original watercourse seems to have taken place later than on the north. The oldest buildings here date from the 1500s and there is no documentary evidence of medieval houses as there is for the north side.

From the top of the High Street as far east as  the modern Green Lane, all the land along here was directly owned by the lords of the manor. Manorial records exist from about 1550 but they do not document these properties, which seem not to have been lived in by any lord of the manor but rented out to others.


'Sopwith Court' & MG Garage

'Sopwith Court' & MG Garage

(Click on photos to enlarge) Originally called Country Life Building, this block dates from about 1910 but has almost all been rebuilt and only the southernmost section still survives. It seems there were always shops at ground level on either sid...
1 & 2 Mays Crossing

1 & 2 Mays Crossing

                      These two cottages were built by the South Western Railway Company in the early 1860s. They were listed in the 1866 property rating survey...
Working Men's Club, Farmhouse and Village School

Working Men's Club, Farmhouse and Village School

Datchet St Mary's C of E Primary Academy The village primary school is the earliest of this Victorian group; it was opened in 1843 and built on land given by the Lord of the Manor, Walter Francis 5th Duke of Buccleuch. Its foundation deed,...
The Manor House Range

The Manor House Range

Introduction This whole range of buildings belonged to the Lord of the Manor of Datchet from at least early Tudor times to the 1890s. They were built on the edge of the watercourse in the centre of the village and followed its slight curve. Since ...
Costa (The Morning Star) and shops to its west

Costa (The Morning Star) and shops to its west

The Morning Star The Morning Star (now Costa Coffee) had been a working class beer-shop  since 1857, run by James and Mary Brightwell. It was first listed under the name Morning Star in 1881. By 1870 it had been bought by the brewers Ashby &a...