London Road

London Road is now the main route leading out of the village past St Mary’s church and Datchet House towards Colnbrook and the M4 Junction, but it is not the original main road. Horton Road was the old route to Colnbrook and into the London-Bath road, while London Road was a narrow lane leading to Riding Court and Ditton Park, known as Churchfield Lane in the 1600s. In 1768 it was upgraded and widened by the Colnbrook Turnpike Trust as a direct route to the London-Bath road, the modern A4.

No early houses were built here beyond Church Cottage and Datchet House at the foot of the road, and most of the surrounding land remained as open fields until the mid-20th century.


St Mary's Parish Church

St Mary's Parish Church

Introduction St Mary's was almost completely rebuilt from 1857, the peak year for the building and rebuilding of churches across the country during an evangelical revival of the Church of England, due to the authorities realising that parish churches...
Datchet House

Datchet House

This grand Georgian house was built in the mid-1740s by the Needham family, Earls of Kilmorey in Ireland. Just north east of the church, it occupies an important site in the village which can be traced back to the 1500s. Its long garden wall bordering ...
Church Cottage, James Cottages & Horton Cottage

Church Cottage, James Cottages & Horton Cottage

 (Most pictures can be enlarged by clicking on them) Introduction Just opposite St Mary's parish church is Church Cottage, one of the oldest houses in Datchet. It is remarkably little altered since its first building in about 1500 with a major ...