Streets and Houses

The Village Greens in Photographs

Datchet's Greens are the defining features of the village and it is hard to believe they did not always exist, but most of the buildings around the village centre are older than the Greens. Until about 1840 a watercourse ran through the centre of the...

The Greens North Side

St Mary's Parish Church stands on the highest spot of ground in the village, north of the present Greens. Its site was just sufficiently high to be safe during floods and Datchet's medieval settlement developed closely around it. By 1350 several of...

The Greens South Side

Development on the low-lying south side of the original watercourse seems to have taken place later than on the north. The oldest buildings here date from the 1500s and there is no documentary evidence of medieval houses as there is for the north side. From...

London Road

London Road is now the main route leading out of the village past St Mary's church and Datchet House towards Colnbrook and the M4 Junction, but it is not the original main road. Horton Road was the old route to Colnbrook and into the London-Bath road,...

Horton Road

Horton Road was the medieval route from Datchet to Colnbrook and the main road between London and the west, running through the long funnel-shaped area of Datchet Common to the eastern parish boundary. Dwellings developed along its northern edge from...

High Street

The High Street is the route from the Thames through the village and on to London, which would have been in use from the building of Windsor Castle and royal provision of a ferry across the river. Several of the High Street houses can be traced back to...

Montagu Road

Introduction Montagu Road and the Avenue were developed on farmland which until 1875 had belonged to the Goodwin family of Goodwin House in the High Street. It was the first land beyond the old village centre to be sold for housing as Datchet's Victorian...

The Avenue

The Avenue was created in about 1880 when farmland previously owned by the Goodwin family was sold. Until then no roads opened out from the High Street and this was the first development in any direction beyond the village's medieval core . A very old...

Queens Road

Introduction This map shows how the plots of land which faced the High Street were long and thin; there was no proper road at the back of the properties but an unofficial 'Back Lane' developed by usage to make a round route connecting the centre of...

Buccleuch Road

Coming soon....  

Windsor Road

Windsor Road did not exist until about 1850. The original route to Windsor was over the Thames by ferry or bridge, or from the Slough Road to Eton and over Windsor Bridge. At the foot of the present Queens Road there was no road to Windsor and no houses...

Southlea Road

Coming soon...  

Slough Road

Until the late 1800s there were no houses along this frequently flooded 'watery lane' that led to Upton, originally a more significant place than Slough. From the top of the present Queens Road there were just open fields with a stream running alongside...